You have ordered an item from Amazon and trust the Federal Express is going to get it to you on time and in one piece. The day finally arrives for it to be delivered and through your Ring doorbell you see it sitting on the front porch. But two hours before you get home, the Ring doorbell goes off again and you witness a stranger stealing your FedEx package. Your heart just sinks, and you might even feel helpless. But there are some things that you can do to keep it from happening and things that you can do if it has already taken place.
Things You Can Do to Keep the Package Safe
Every package that is delivered is at risk of being stolen. It seems like more people are having their boxes removed from the front porch now more than ever. In order to keep your delivery safe until you get home there are some simple ways to avoid the loss and headache of being ripped off.
- Install security cameras around your front and back doors. This will allow you to put a face with the thief. The police will ask if you have any pictures that they can use to identify the person with.
- Meet your delivery person. This means you will have to speak with them and get to know them. You may be able to set up a place where they can place your packages, so they are hidden from view.
- Use an offsite locker such as an Amazon Locker. Using this type of service means that you will have to go to a third-party location to pick up your package. But you will not have to worry about it coming up missing because someone stole it.
- Install a secure mailbox. A secured mailbox works just like a lockbox. Except the mailbox is at your home. These porch lockers are easy to install and can keep your treasured items from falling into the hands of another thief.
- Work with your neighbors to have your packages delivered to their address. This comes in handy if they are home during the day. They simply keep your package safe until you pick it up from their home.
- Put instructions on the package to be placed in a special place that is out of sight. Most shipping companies can place a note on the box to have it left around back or behind the bushes.
Keeping your items safe is a top priority when you cannot be home all the time. But what happens when the Ring doorbell shows your package being stolen.
What You Should Do if the Package is Stolen
There is nothing worse than being ripped off. It creates a sense of vulnerability in just about every person. If your FedEx, UPS, or USPS package has come up missing, there are some things that you can do to recover your lost investment. The exact steps are a little different from carrier to carrier. Consider the following ways to file a claim and report a stolen package with FedEx.
FedEx Cares About You
FedEx drivers care for their customers. In fact, their drivers have a lot of options when it comes to delivering packages. Most couriers will place the package in an area that is not out in the open. They mark on their computer where it was placed in case you have a hard time finding it. But here is what you need to do in case the box or letter is stolen from your porch.
- You will need to file a claim. FedEx has a limit of value that they place on all shipments. So if your package is worth more than $100, you will want to pay for the extra value to insure your item. You can file a claim by calling 1-800-GoFedEx or by visiting the FedEx website.
- Once you have filed a claim you will have to prove that it was stolen or provide documents that show it was damaged. Any video recording or pictures will help with your claim.
- Keep in mind that you have a certain amount of time to file your claim. For cash only deliveries (C.O.D) claims you have only 21 days. For damaged claims, they give you 60 days. And for all other claims, you have nine months to get the ball rolling on the claim.
- FedEx may require that the item be inspected prior to any claim being paid out. If this happens, work with the agent to get the matter resolved in a timely manner.
When Do I Need to File a Claim
When you have a stolen or damaged package you have a certain amount of time to make a claim. You will also need to know a few extra details.
- You have 60 days to file a claim for damages to your shipment. The 60 days starts on the delivery date.
- There is a maximum of nine months that you can file any type of claim.
- Any claim less than $100 can be taken care of over the phone.
- Any inspection that needs to take place will be requested by FedEx.
- You can expect your claims to be resolved in five to seven business days.
Putting Everything Together
Every shipping company has their way for you to file a claim. It would be a good idea for you to contact the shipper to report that the package was stolen. In some cases, the shipper is liable to file the claim on behalf of the buyer. The last thing you want to do is file a duplicate claim. Also, FedEx likes to have clear and reliable documentation. It is a good idea to take pictures and provide documents from reliable sources.
Last updated on March 25th, 2020 at 01:23 pm